Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Can't kill them fast enough

Somehow we all knew this would happen. For the past 4 or so years, whenever I walked into any of Amman's 5-star hotels (which was at least 3 times a week), I would always wonder if I'd be able to escape if something happened. I'd make sure my mobile phone was close by or decide not to take the elevator just in case. As if it all would make any difference.

God knows how many people didn't manage to escape this evening. And I, for the life of me, can't figure out who was targeted. The Hyatt and the Radisson are full of Americans, but the majority of the casualties are Jordanian. Those planning the attacks had to have known that would have been the result. So, what is the point, exactly? These guys are out to kill indiscriminately, apparently, and have no interest in promoting any kind of reason for why they're doing it.

For the whole afternoon, I've had the socked-in-the-gut feeling along with total outrage. Soon after I heard the news, I found myself driving behind a car with a bumper sticker that said, "We're making enemies faster than we can kill them." How unbelievably true.

Now, not to feed any conspiracy theories at all--honestly--but I read an article from Haaretz I found while scanning Google News entitled, "Israelis Evacuated from Amman Hotel Hours Before Bombings." Might there have been something that could have been done to avoid the attacks?

You might also want to follow Suleiman Khalidi's coverage of the latest news from Amman. He's with Reuters and seems to get more and better info than most of the foreign press stuff (he speaks Arabic--unlike them.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home