Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The elites continue to suffer

A friend alerted me to this article--if it can be called that--from Lebanon's English-language Daily Star. I was appalled that first of all, a newspaper would print such crap, but also that the author had no qualms whatsoever at airing the depth of her obnoxiousness.

The general treatment of foreign workers in the Middle East is appalling, but most people seem to be in denial about it. Every time I mentioned anything on the subject, people would always tell me how generous they were with their own maids. I mean, they give their maid a day off, for God's sake, which supposedly is the pinnacle of generosity.

It's racism, pure and simple. One aspect I've always loved about Islam is its very clear message that there should be no differentiation between races. It was quite an amazing concept for someone like me who grew up in the Bible Belt, yet saw racism occur continually throughout my growing up years.

It would be an understatement to say I was shocked at the deep-seated racism I found in Amman, particularly aimed at Sri Lankan, Filipino and Egyptian foreign workers. The Koran's message sure ain't doing them any good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home