Monday, November 14, 2005

Five days later. . .

Over the weekend, I nearly imploded from all the online searching I was doing to figure out what the heck's going on over in Amman. Pretty soon I realized that most of the stuff I was seeing in the morning would only be rehashed throughout the day since it was nearly nightfall in Amman by the time I woke up here on the other side of the planet. That didn't stop me from the search, however.

It's difficult for me to organize my thoughts on what's happened--even 5 days later. Actually, in the days right after the bombings, my feelings were pretty much concentrated on all the anger and outrage I felt. The anger's still here today, but with all the stuff I've been reading and, I suppose, the distance of a bit of time, I'm feeling uncertain about what all this means.

The pundits and "experts" are everywhere--weighing in on how it will affect King Abdullah and the future of Jordan. There's been some really harsh criticism of his leadership and the choices he's made (see Robert Fisk's latest, which even shocked me) as well as a number of presumptions that Zarqawi's idiotic plot was actually a more strategic plan to distabilize Jordan. Reading this stuff can kind of get to me, but honestly, I think the guys writing it are pretty out of touch. I'm not a big fan of Abdullah, but I in no way think he's in over his head.

Anyway, I'm a little played out with thinking about all of it. I WILL, though, direct your attention to a few articles I've come across of late that are worth a read. In the NYTimes, Neil MacFarquhar's article looks at the overreaching role of the secret police in Jordan and the Arab World, with the extremely interesting suggestion that their effort would be best used in concentrating on terror rather than policing the minutae of everyday life. Suleiman Khalidi, over at Reuters, also has a good one discussing King Abdullah's new difficult job.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home