Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A weekend of film

Somehow I managed to see a whole bunch of films over the weekend. We started out with "Chicken Little" on request from Issy. What two-year old requests movies, anyway?

Man, what a stupid movie. And what a real stretch to come up with a feature-length film on the guy whose only claim to fame was yelling around that the sky was falling. I kept thinking, too, that it was kind of ironic that most of the humor had to do with life in junior high, particularly because aren't junior high kids watching things like "American Pie" and way finished with "Chicken Little"-type stuff? Somewhere in the middle of the movie--a few minutes before Samer fell asleep--I looked over at him and said, "I can't believe this is what we now come to see on a Saturday afternoon."

Samer watched Iss on Sunday so I could get away to see "The Squid and the Whale." It was a bit spotty in places, but generally quite good. I was feeling so sad throughout it for the poor kids who were getting bandied about by their parents, all the while suspecting that parenthood has a lot to do with being extra emotional when sad kid stuff happens. It killed me when Walt ran back to the exhibition at the American History museum where he used to go with his mother when he was little. Gosh, I think all of us yearn in some way or another to be back in those simplistic days of childhood when we had all the time in the world to dream and let our moms take care of us.

In my frenzy to figure out how to put my film together, I also have been running through a number of documentaries. First I saw "Noam Chomsky: Rebel Without a Pause," which was enjoyable content-wise but very inspirational for people like me who are just honing editing and camera skills. The editing and camerawork were a mess, more or less.

I also saw "Be Good, Smile Pretty," which came out a few years ago and tells the story of a young woman searching for the memory of her father who died in Vietnam when she was, like, four months old. Think I cried from one minute in clear to the end. The fact that we're now in a Vietnam-like conflict with 2000+ of our soldiers dead obviously makes it very timely. Somehow it never occurs to me to think about the individual stories of all these young men we hear about who are dying almost daily. Honestly, in many ways, it doesn't feel in any tangible way that this is a country at war. It's only thinking about these individual stories that's so touching and upsetting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home