Friday, December 16, 2005

Fisk-fest

It just keeps getting worse in Lebanon, as I'm sure most of us were thinking when Jibran Tueni, journalist/editor/opposition MP, was killed the other day. Who doesn't think it's the Syrians who are responsible? Probably no one, but the bizarre thing is that these murders of prominent anti-Syrian public figures (Samir Kassir and George Hawi, along with the attempt at May Chidiac) go on unabated while Detliv Mehlis continues his investigation into the murder of Rafik Hariri. In fact, the bomb that killed Tueni went off just a few hours before Mehlis' latest report (there's a link you can download) was made public.

Robert Fisk, as you might guess, has a lot to say on the situation. This morning I read the two articles below with a huge sense of anger that Lebanon cannot just be left alone to deal with its own demons. Things had really seemed to be looking up.

"Who Will be Next?" and "In Lebanon the Men Do the Dying and the Women Do the Mourning"

I'm also including a transcript from a radio interview with Fisk as well as a really great article in today's Salon reviewing his book (watch the short ad, it's worth it.) It cracks me up that Fisk has been so vilified by many here in the States, particularly since he's one of the few people reporting from the Middle East who actually really knows it. Too often people here are too dumb to realize just how important that is.

4 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger lulu said...

Amanda- Thank you so much for these links! I will be checking them out right now. I have heard Fisk speak at different venues in the past few years, and it also amazes me how he is looked upon unfavorably here in the US. He truly probably knows more than many Arabs about their own history and current events.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger huh said...

Hi, i for one have not concluded that this was the work of Syrians. I don't want to sound naive or anything, but its just all this media thats coming from the US. I dont know what to believe...I believe killer bees did it. I didnt know that things were that bad until the mbc network (brought to us by the letter K and the whitehouse) blessed us with MBC 4, and i witnessed first hand what news people in America watched....I WAS SHOCKED!!!

oh well, only time will tell

my spammyy....sorryyy
submit your blog to http://www.iopblogs.com its a geographic aggregator, its in beta stage for now, but we already have some countries up...i would love it if Jordan was next (my home country)

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to be honest with you. I for one don't believe the Syrians are responsible for this. Most of the arab world knows who is behind this, one of Lebanon's neighbors.

The Syrians lost a lot from these assassinations. It's not them. You have to be insane to believe they would destroy their own character by engaging in these assassinations.

Someone is framing them. Syria has a lot to lose and nothing to gain. One, two or even 20 assassinations won't change the opinion of the Lebanese people. So tell me, do you really think they're behind this?

That Syrian official that killed himself? He was assassinated too by the same people responsible for Hariri's death. It was done to make it look like Syria was responsible. The Lebanese people are so gullible to believe that Syria was responsible.

I want to pose a question to you. If an assassin from Japan was sent out to kill Hariri, and let's assume he was the one responsible for this action. Would the following events that have ensued right after Hariri's death? Of course. Basicly anyone could have done it and we are all just speculating here.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Ajnabeeyeh said...

Well, I guess I should respond to the few conspricists in the group, here. You'll have to excuse me. I'm not currently living in Jordan, so maybe that's why it didn't dawn on me that Israel, that neighbor of Lebanon (or, could it possibly be another neighbor) was behind it all. I also haven't gleaned any information from the American media, which I typically avoid like the plague. Fisk, who has been living in Beirut for the past 30 years, seems to think that's what people in Lebanon are thinking, and everyone else I've talked to does as well. I don't necessarily think it's the Syrian gov't, but the intelligence apparatus is a pretty good place to point a finger, I'd say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home