Friday, March 10, 2006

Just the stuff we need

You've just gotta love those things that remind us of where we came from. For one guy who has recently moved back to Afghanistan after years in America, it's cafe culture. The Guardian has a great article about Kandahar's one and only coffeehouse and the man who's making it happen.

My man of the day is Malik, the owner of Mama's, up on 152nd and Aurora. I went to talk to him about donating food for the Simon Shaheen concert/Arab Film Festival reception and was amazed to discover not only really good shawarma and hummos but also all that stuff I've been missing lately: zaatar, shanklish (can you believe?!), molokhia and even shraak bread. Oh man, I'm so stoked! Now I'm going to have to figure out how to make an edible molokhia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home