Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mama musings

I'm feeling kind of burnt out with the continuous politics running through my head. The headlines are dismal: Israelis storming a Jericho prison, Dubai Ports bowing out due to American racism and ignorance, etc. It goes on and on.

We're gearing up for a spring trip to Amman. More info soon--and we're really looking forward to it.

In my bid to be off politics for a few days, here's an article/interview with Leslie Morgan Steiner, author of "Mommy Wars"--yet another recent book on the work/not-to-work dilemma mothers invariably face. Steiner claims that

. . . women have got to stick up for each other more. We should be fighting with men, we should be fighting with the government, we should be fighting with employers, and say this country would be better off and kids would be better off if women had more flexibility in terms of work and more support being mothers.

No kidding. I can't imagine ever having the cush situation I had back in Amman--nanny with Issy and working a half-day at home. Many moms here I know who work have pretty flexible situations, which is cool and perhaps speaks to a trend, but the general situation across the country is no bargain.

There's been tons written lately about the tension between working and non-working moms, which I find kind of interesting. Especially since I don't have much a clue about how that plays out. Here in Ballard, everyone's a stay-at-home mom, pretty much, which must mean this is total yuppieland.

2 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger salam said...

Ah,the never ending dilemma!!i feel so bad about leaving my kids even though I leave them only for half a day and they go to school and nursery,school is a must but for zaid,he's only two and I wish I could spend teh day with him.i feel bad about my work too sometimes,I feel i could give more with longer workinghours but I guess you can't have it all.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger ticklethepear said...

You might want to check out the Feb. issue of Self. It has two essays, one by a WM, the other by a SAHM, about their experiences - both self-defined feminists.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home