Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Seattle happenings

There's a lot going on in the next few weeks in the Seattle Arab community. This upcoming Saturday night, Simon Shaheen, the Palestinian oud and violin virtuoso, plays at Town Hall. For those of you interested in checking it out, get your tickets at the Arab Center website. After the Shaheen concert, the Arab and Iranian Film Festival will hold a reception open to all to kick off this year's festival.

For the past few weeks, I've been planning the reception and getting to know lots of Arab restaurant proprietors here in Seattle. As a result, I definitely have a clue where to go when I get a hankering for some good kubbeh or mahshi. So that's been a nice perk.

The film festival runs from Friday, March 31 to Sunday, April 9th. James Longley's Iraq in Fragments, which just won a slew of awards at Sundance, is the opening night feature, and I'm particularly looking forward to the Angry Arab's lecture on Saturday, April 1 at 1 pm. Check out the program here--and come on out, those of you who are close by. It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Oh, and did I mention that Samer's going to be the featured artist at this year's festival? My film, In the Land of the Free?, is also going to be shown as an installation throughout the festival's duration.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to Simon SHaheen's concert in Jordan once and it was amazing, but I think he is Palestenian, correct me if I am wrong, but I am almost sure, anyway , enjoy
Cheers

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Ajnabeeyeh said...

I think you're right! Better change it!

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Kierstin said...

Oh what I would do for some good kibbhi or even falafel here in Flagstaff! We really need some Arabic cuisine in Northern Arizona. Brad and I reminisce often about the awesome dinners we had with you and Samer in Amman. Do you know anyone who wants to move to a mountain college town and set up shop?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home