Thursday, March 16, 2006

Weekend workouts

Probably the greatest thing about being back in the U.S. is the sheer abundance of stuff to do. Back in Amman, nearly every single Friday (the equivalent of Saturday here) Samer and I would get up and mope about how we wished we could bop down to some galleries and just kind of wander around like the old days back in Boston. In Amman, our choices would be limited, pretty much, to going to a restaurant (one of the same 3 or 4 we always went to), seeing a cheesy Hollywood flick or attempting to take a walk on our neighborhood's laughable sidewalks. Don't get me wrong, there were some nice Fridays to be had, but near the end it was just too grim. There were too many things we were missing, and Amman on the weekends just wasn't getting it for us.

I'm now starting to feel weekend fatigue, though, after almost a year of going out and about on the weekends in the attempt to make up for lost time. We usually catch at least one movie we're really excited to see, have a great dinner out, take a lovely walk by the lake or somewhere beauteous, do something arty and hang out in one of the gajillion cafes here in Seattle. It's getting to be a bit of an overload, but all the same it's been just what we've needed.

I'm still fascinated by the tons of stuff to do. It's kind of like going to Safeway here and seeing the 87 different brands of toilet paper after getting used to the 3 or 4 kinds back in Amman--you kind of just don't know where to start. We seem to be finding our niche all too well, though, so I'm hoping for a bit of a break this weekend.

Anyway, I came across this very interesting piece today in the New York Times about another wonderful way to pass the time out of the house--at a lecture, book reading or debate. Spoken-word events are enjoying a huge surge of popularity back here in the States, and it's certainly not just me who finds them amazingly compelling.

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Omar said...

I'm suprised to hear that.. from reading Jordanian blogs (like Roba's and Lina's) I thought Amman was full of places for hanging out

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger ticklethepear said...

Amman sounds a lot more exciting than Ouagadougou!

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats very interesting. I'm from Jordan but I spent 15 years in the states and just left the states last year because of my job.

Now I live in Africa, and this is the first year I'm so happy in the past 15 years. For some reason I was never happy in the states, people in the states don't seem to value life, just take everything for granted.

And I'm surprised you say that about Amman, where were you living in Wihdat? lol Everytime I'm in Amman I get so tired because of how much stuff there is to do and I long for a relaxing day at home.

Cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home