Sunday, April 16, 2006

Home again, home again jiggity jig (kind of)

Here we are, in jetlagged haze, back in Amman. The trip was surprisingly manageable with Issy--his new "Finding Nemo" Leapster cartridge the big star of the trip.

Amman feels kind of the same and kind of just wild and crazy. New buildings popping up all over the place, the Fourth Circle all closed up with insane detours and even more crazed drivers cirling around the neighborhood--not to mention frenetic activity everywhere. I need a few days to adjust and get a grip on how different things are, but my first impression is that Amman's doing the wannabe Dubai thing. There has to be a better model of development that more effectively takes the have-nots into consideration. It feels like just more elitist bells and whistles to me. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

I decided to go and do one of my standard activities first thing: sugar depilation. Today was particularly harrowing, and I won't go into detail except to say that this afternoon I encountered the rabid bikini line hair removal Nazi of Amman in the flesh. I'm still shaking in my boots just thinking about it.

And of course, in the few hours I was outside the house I already ran into three people I know. Only in Amman. . .

5 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous bilotee said...

welcome home :)

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous kinzi said...

Samer and Amanda, welcome home!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger salam said...

wish you a great stay..nemo is the best!!long live pixar!!

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous bilotee said...

I love finding nemo! The best ever! I couldn't agree more.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger deep said...

glad you guys had a nice and safe trip back. looking forward to some lovely blog posts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home