Friday, July 21, 2006

A primer on Palestinian discontent

Gosh, it's so nice to engage in discussion with people truly interested to know about what's going on in Palestine and Lebanon. I was a bit early picking Issy up from his summer camp today, and two of his teachers sat with me and wanted me to tell them what Israel's problem is. They are annoyed with all the civilians dying in Lebanon and feel frustrated at how difficult it is to get information that's not pro-Israeli.

I told them a bit about my experience living in Jordan and what I know of how difficult life is for Palestinians. The questions kept coming, which is refreshing after feeling so insulated from everything all the way over here in the U.S.

And yeah, Palestinian suffering continues. It's been brutal--and going on for way too long, as this Salon article confirms. A fascinating read--especially for those of you who don't know a lot about the mass ejection of Palestinians from their homes early in Israel's history.

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Linda said...

yeah isnt it refreshing when feloow americans ask you about whats going on there? of course i tell them i neer lived or visited in the middle east, but having family live there and just being able to watch arabic news channels lets you give them another perspective of this whole mess. and they are eager to learn and want to know how they can help.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Callie said...

This is why I like reading Amanda's blog. Exposure to a totally different viewpoint....

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Cairogal said...

I think Seattle, compared to many places in America (I'm from Cleveland, originally) has a lot of progressive-minded people. I know, I know...just go north, south or east a bit, and all that changes. When I repatriated 2 years ago, i chose Seattle so that my Egyptian spouse could be around more open-minded Americans. Ideal? No. I suppose it's all relative.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home